This dialogue with stakeholders follows the adoption of the Communication on Building a European Data Economy and its accompanying Staff Working Document. Results will feed into the Commission’s initiatives on data announced in the Mid-term review of the 2015 Digital Single Market strategy.
The stakeholder dialogue follows the adoption of the Communication on Building a European Data Economy and its accompanying Staff Working Document on 10 January 2017. This dialogue consists of a public online consultation that took place from 10 January to 26 April 2017, and workshops on specific issues and with targeted stakeholders.
The reports from the discussions of these workshops will feed into the follow-up actions related to data announced in the Communication on the Mid-Term Review of the 2015 Digital Single Market strategy, adopted on 10 May 2017. The aim is to gather more evidence on the functioning of the data markets by sector and exploring possible solutions. In this context, a broad macro-level discussion is essential for debating possible solutions and avoiding unintended side-effects that would stifle innovation or hinder competition. Besides, the European Commission will hold sector-specific discussions with relevant stakeholders in the data value chain.
Within this stakeholder dialogue, the European Commission organises a series of workshops in May, June and July 2017:
- Webinar on data access and data sharing: the real impact on SMEs’ and start-ups’ business models (online, 29 May 2017).
- Workshop with Member States representatives on the emerging issues of the data economy (Brussels, 31 May 2017). It will assemble national experts from the EU Member States, in order to exchange opinions on the ways forward with regard to the emerging issues of the data economy such as access and transfer of non-personal data, data portability, liability in relation to IoT and Artificial intelligence.
- Workshop on the transformative effect of access and re-use of data for smart industries (Brussels, 6 June 2017).
- Workshop on data access and transfer with a focus on APIs and industrial data platforms (Brussels, 8 June 2017).
- Data Economy Workshop, Digital Assembly (Malta, 15 and 16 June 2017).
- Workshop on access to commercially-held data of public interest for public bodies (Brussels, 26 June 2017).